The significant number of colleges and universities in the United States makes it daunting for a student to find a school that is a perfect match to the requirements; however, online resources like college finder service make the choice highly organized and effective. Online tools provide freshman applicants with a profile of universities and colleges to serve as basis for their choice.
How to ensure acceptance in a suitable educational institution
It makes sense to start early in building a list of potential schools to apply to. How many colleges should complete a list? It would be safe to assume that 5 to 8 universities and colleges will ensure admission however, there are also factors that have to be considered like academic achievement that is reflected by GPA and test scores In order to ensure that the search will result into a perfect match, it is suggested to consider the following factors:
• Was the research done through online resources extensive enough to include all the best colleges and universities?
• Have you made any campus visits to gain an actual feel of the school’s environment?
• Does the school offer the course or program that you intend to pursue?
• Does the school match you academically and socially? Will it serve your best interests?
Narrowing down your choices
By August, you should be able to narrow down your choices because you only have a month before you start on the application process. Some schools allow early admissions but it is being discouraged to allow students from faraway states to have remaining slots even if they do not apply as early as other applicants. When you narrow down your choices, make sure to have a list with an adequate number of schools to allow for more flexibility. Your list should include:
• Safety colleges where the chances of being rejected is very minimal. You need to consider these schools for academic and financial safety.
• Probable colleges include those colleges that you would be happy to attend based on your academic achievements and social requirements.
• Reach colleges are often the choice of many students but they also are the colleges that are least likely to provide admission because of their stringent criteria. Many incoming freshman dream of being accepted in these prestigious schools but often fall short of the college’s requirements.
What are your chances of admission?
Admission in some schools can be an intense competition because of the high standards of selectivity and yield rates. Usually, these colleges have a limited percentage of admissions which can be searched through online sources like college finders. This helps a student determine his chances of gaining admission and whether to transfer the search into another school with higher chances of being admitted. Aside from online resources, use the insight of others particularly your mentors and parents. Make an investment of time and efforts to visit different university campuses because they are significant factors that will affect college life. At the end of the day, your efforts will be rewarded by being able to find the perfect match.